Featuring the usual suspects

Featuring the usual suspects

Sunday 2 December 2012

Skiing.

Long legs?
Winter is here again, hurrah. I got my skis out today, Max and I headed up to Great End.

The snow was really high well above 2500 ft, with the skis strapped to my pack and my big boots on I'm always bothered it might be a waste of effort if the snow isn't deep enough or the wrong snow!!

Yep you need the right sort of snow for my short snow blades, they are no good in powder, just sink in and you end up doing a face plant! What you need is good hard snow.


Great Gable from Wasdale


Great End from a frozen Lambfoot Dub
My boots are fully rigid Salomon winter climbing boots that I've modified to fit the snow blades, the bindings are very similar to a reversed crampon style that just clip on from the front. They a good compromise, fairly easy to walk in (for big rigid boots) and just about stiff enough to ski in (with a bit of experience and continually remembering to lean forward)


Big boots and little Skis

Wasdale from Lambfoot Dub.


Loads of snow, if you go high enough.

Well my luck was in today, perfect snow with a good frozen crust, bright sunshine and absolutely no wind (no that doesn't happen very often). A brilliant day.

No comments:

Post a Comment